Thursday, May 29, 2008

Linseman in the Crowd?


Linesman in the crowd?
Originally uploaded by Phil Stead
Reyjkavic, May 2008. Iceland v Wales. Carl Fletcher's about to get nobbled. They showed the action replay again and again, but I couldn't take my eyes off the crowd.

I noticed them when they arrived, 5 minutes late. You see I know that flag. Inter Ifor was a Sunday League team I used to play for in Cardiff, made up from regulars at Clwb Ifor Bach.

At first there was some silly little flag waving. But as this photo shows, Griggy appears to be getting a right old ticking off from a linesman. (As usual, he has no interest in the game). And the linesman is actually in the crowd. You can just see his flag in his left hand.

Look closer and they all appear to be linesmen. Now either this was a National Association of Referee Assistants end of season jolly, or somebody was taking the piss. And knowing the characters involved, my money's on the latter.

No comments: