Tuesday, September 23, 2008

U21's at Villa Park

After much discussion it appears that the Under 21's will play their crucial play-off game against England at Villa Park. I've got mixed feelings about that one. It would have been nice to get another trip to Wembley, but Villa Park is a fair bit closer. At the moment I fancy going, but that could change. I meet need to wash my hair, cut the grass or any other such diversion which seems to curtail my travelling these days.

One bloke that will feel at home is Gabriel Ablongahor, possibly England's most dangerous player at the moment. His presence will ensure a big crowd, and you get the sense that we're being set up as whipping boys.

Realistically we shouldn't have much of a chance over two legs. They murdered us at Wrexham last year when we had a team full of "stars". Now that six or seven of that team have progressed to Toshack's squad, we must be weaker. I know that our best results have been earned without the more recognisable names, but they're well known for a reason. They're good.

I expect to see Aaron Ramsey in the side, due to Toshack's mystifying selection policy regarding the Arsenal player. I also think Ched Evans will play if Bellamy returns to the senior side.

It's going to be pretty hard to call this one though. I expect a full house at Ninian and the boys need to be still in it when we travel to Birmingham. I don't know what sort of following we'll take. Most of the nutters will already be in Germany with the senior side. But maybe we can expect
1-2,000 to travel if we get a decent result in Cardiff?

It's a real shame that we win our group so well and have to go through this at all.

No comments: